As you may have figured out, I am all about cramming in as many nutrient dense ingredients in my green drinks as possible, because I’m a nutrient junkie!
But, you can easily pick and choose from the ingredients below to make a version that works for you, or take a look at my other green juice recipe and mix and match. Most of the key ingredients will be the same because these are detox focused drinks (and I include the BEST ingredients for detoxifying in these bad boys) so the flavor shouldn’t change too drastically from making a few changes- key word shouldn’t. 😉 Plus, you can always have some stevia extract on hand to sweeten things up (calorie free), or banana, raw honey, pineapple, mango or dates.
I personally like the taste of greens and strive to use as little sweetener as possible, so again do whatever you need to in order to help you get your green juice down without cringing!
This recipe is indented to mimic more of a juice then a smoothie or meal replacement, but you could definitely add protein powder if you need a way to get extra protein in- up to you. 🙂
So give this little number a try!
Grapefruit Greens Detox
Serving Size 1.5-2
- 2 handfuls of leafy green of choice (or combination, which is what I usually do): Collard greens, swiss chard, or watercres (if using swiss chard blanch the leaves and then freeze to prevent spoilage. Do not soak in water)
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 1/4 -1/2 a grapefruit (scoop or cut out and try not to quirt yo’self in the eye 😉 )
- 1/2- 1 apple (cored, skin on)
- 1 TBS flax oil (can sub chia seeds, hemp seeds, grapeseed oil, avocado oil, or 1/4 avocado)
- Ginger -1 tsp ginger paste, or 1 knuckle grated or pressed (use more or less depending on your taste)
- 1/4 a cup parsley (about a small handful, stems included is fine)
- 1/4 a cilantro (about a small handful, stems included is fine)
- 1 cup filtered water (add more if needed)
- 1 sheet seaweed
- 1/4 cup plain keifir (can sub greek yogurt)
- A few ice cubes (optional)
IF YOU NEED MORE SWEETNESS to counter the grapefruit, refer to the suggestions above!
Other additional ingredient options (not tested together in this recipe): 1 celery stalk, 1 scoop vanilla protein, 3 mint leaves, spinach, or a handful of kale.
- If you’re not using a high powered blender like Vitamix or Blendtec, blend your greens and water first and then add remaining ingredients. Otherwise combine all ingredients and blend away!
- If this tastes too bitter for you with the grapefruit just add a squirt of stevia or one of the other sweeteners above.
- Make sure to stir it often until consumed, as it will separate and foam from the insoluble fiber will accumulate at the top (as seen in pic at top). A great way to reduce this is to freeze all of your ingredients before use. You can also add soluble fiber ingredients like bananas, mango, kiwi, pears, or peaches to give it a more creamier texture, with less separation.
- Try to drink immediately to maximize nutrient availability before they oxidize.
- If using collard greens try to add a sheet of seaweed or other iodine rich food source.
Something to note: Grapefruit juice can inhibit the action of many medications including statins, so be sure to check with your doctor before including it if that applies to you.
If you would like a more in depth breakdown of the ingredients in this drink as well as others listed on the blog, CLICK HERE!
Thad be it folks.