Apple Pie (Gluten Free)
Serves: 1 pie
Ingredients for double Pie Crust:
- 2 cups spelt flour (can sub gluten free flour)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ cup grass fed unsalted butter
- 1/3 -1/2 cup cold water
- ½ tsp of lemon zest
- Mix flour, salt and lemon zest together in a large bowl.
- Cut chilled butter into the flour mixture and evenly mix together with a pastry cutter until it appears uniform in texture.
- Slowly add cold water, while simultaneously mixing with a fork until the dough just sticks together, but is not sticky.
- Form into two even sized balls, and roll one out to line the pie plate.
- Set the other aside for later.
Ingredients for Pie Filling:
- 7 organic granny smith apples, pared
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 TBS spelt flour (or gluten free)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 TSP lemon juice
- 1 TBS grass fed butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pare apples.
- Mix dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Slice apples into bite-size, even pieces.
- Add ⅓ of apples to pie pan, followed by ⅓ of sugar mixture.
- Repeat 2 times.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice, and dot with butter.
- Roll out top crust, and slice the dough evenly in ½ inch strips.
- Alternately lay strips over apples, forming a lattice. Trim the edges of the dough so there is a uniform amount of crust around the entire pie.
- Roll up the edges, tucking them in along the rim of the pie plate.
- Crimp the edges of the crust using your thumbs and index fingers.
- You can sprinkle a little sugar on top of the pie, or bake it without.
- Bake the pie for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then reduce the heat to 325 and bake for another 30-40 minutes, or until the crust has browned and the pie filling is bubbly.